Holiday Illness Claims
Thomson pays £8,000 compensation following Salmonella infection at Sharm hotel

Thomson pays £8,000 compensation following Salmonella infection at Sharm hotel

Damages against the tour giant Thomson have been awarded to an RAF officer who contracted a highly resistant strain of salmonella at an Egyptian hotel.

When he became ill, our client was enjoying an 8-day holiday with his wife at Club Magic Life Imperial hotel, in the popular Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.

Holiday complaints at the Club Magic Life Imperial hotel in Egypt

"It was our first holiday to Egypt," he told Simpson Millar's Simon Lomax. "We booked to go just before our wedding anniversary in July 2014."

Lukewarm food...and even a bird in the buffet

For the better part of their holiday the couple had eaten in the main self-service buffet. However, our client noted that hygiene standards left much to be desired.

"Occasionally the food would be lukewarm," he said. "I can't recall staff wearing gloves and never saw them using any antibacterial agents on the tables or counters.

"At one time there was a bird in the main restaurant, which wasn't ideal as a great deal of the food was uncovered."

Swimming pool also questionable

Although the couple would often cool off in the hotel pool, this also appeared to receive little attention from hotel staff. "I can't recall the water smelling overly of chlorine, nor can I ever remember it being tested."

On the evening of 17 July, 2 days before the end of the couple's £1360 holiday, our client began to feel distinctly unwell.

"I had loose stools and often had to use the toilet," he said. "At the time I thought it was just one of those things and didn't report it to the holiday rep, but on the Friday morning the diarrhoea was still very bad."

Pain went from bad to worse

Our client's pain and discomfort intensified during the couple's flight home.

"We arrived home early on Saturday and I went to bed. Later that day I felt even worse and by Monday I was in a very bad way and unable to work."

The officer was told by his station's medical officer that he might have Campylobacter, a common cause of food poisoning and a pathogen frequently found in poorly prepared meat, unpasteurised milk and untreated water.

On the same day he consulted his Medical Officer, our client's wife also began to feel unwell with similar symptoms.

Illness continued for months

Still feeling ill a week after the tests, our client was notified that he had tested positive for Ciproflaxin-resistant Salmonella.

Acting for the stricken holidaymaker, Simon Lomax said: "Our client suffered bouts of diarrhoea, with symptoms of his illness continuing to worsen even a couple of months after the first infection."

Simon added that there was little doubt our client's illness, and that of his wife, was caused by poor hygiene at the Club Magic Life.

Simon Lomax, said:

Holiday Complaints advice

"Thomson should have ensured that their hotel's standards were very much better than they were."

Holiday illness claims advice

Simpson Millar were "highly professional", says client

Our client, who was awarded £8,000 compensation, was delighted with Simpson Millar's service, from his initial contact with our receptionist to Simon Lomax's help with his case.

"Your staff were highly professional," he said. "Mr Lomax was very capable and clear on his intentions throughout. My thanks to him and his assistants."

Get in touch for a chat about how we can help you by filling in our quick, no obligation enquiry form and we will call you back or you can call us directly on 0808 145 1353.